Problems of obese kids: causes, effects and treatmentPosted by admin on September 30th, 2010
There has been seen a steady and dangerous rise in the cases of obesity becoming a common occurrence in children, mostly infants and younger kids. As the age increases, the percentage of occurrence of obesity increases all the more, as the children grow. A lot of health problems are caused by the obesity factor in children. Obese kids need immediate attention of parents and teachers so that they can be relieved of this problem.
Obesity causes a lot of health problems even in kids because it is these kids who when grow up are in the grip of this dangerous problem of obesity. Paediatric hypertension, diabetes mellitus, heart diseases etc are the effects that diabetes can cause during the growth of kids. Many psychological problems due to low self esteem can also be caused in obese kids.
Causes of obesity in kids
• Heredity factor is an important one which influences the health of the kids. The children who have obese parents are at a very high risk of being obese. The genetic make up of the parents may be such that not much energy is spent and they become obese. The kids too have chances of having similar make up of genes.
• Least physical activity can also be cited as another cause for problem of obesity. The balance between consumption of energy and its expenditure is totally unmatched with each other. This extra consumption of food is stored as fats and gives rise to obese kids.
• It might not always be a heredity problem of parents too. In such cases, it may be due to lack of exercise. Watching television and no physical activity of parents develops a similar lifestyle for the kids making him obese.
Treatment of obesity in kids
• Physical activity is very important in the process of weight loss. Burning calories is very important so as to make use of the extra flab present in the body. However, only exercise is not a viable solution for the obese kids. There also has to be an intervention in the health habits and the nutrition of the kid and these both can work hand in hand to get a good result.
• Diet management is very important as a treatment for obese kids. The calorie intake is not just required to be cut down all of a sudden but only the advisable amounts of food should be taken in. overt restriction of food may also harm the child psychologically.
• Behaviour modification and change in habits is also a very important way to induce weight loss in obese kids. Improving eating habits, sleeping habits and exercise regimes can help in weight loss.
• Positive reinforcement for the obese kids can be very helpful since it helps them gain a positive outlook.
It is always suggested that the prevention of obesity is way better than curing it. Realise the importance of a healthy body initially and always stay with a healthy mind which is sharp and active and the owner of a healthy body.
Originally posted at: Problems of obese kids